It was a historic Saturday for the Lakota East High School boys golf team. The boys finished a program-best sixth at the Division I state tournament. The Thunderhawk boys shot 646 (318-328) in the 36-hole event over the Scarlet Course at Ohio State University. Dublin Jerome (607) topped the 12-team field.
Powell Olentangy Liberty (616) was runner-up, followed by Green (628), St. Xavier (629) and Youngstown Boardman (630)
East was led by Kyle Schmidt (73-79-152). Schmidt finished 10th. Drew Mahon (77-81-158) tied for 23rd, Peyton Houston (85-82-167) tied for 41st, Brock Aten (83-86-169) tied for 48th and Alex Dunaway (88-86-174) placed 58th.
From Coach Combs…
WOW—what a great week for our program and for our kids. JUST getting to the STATE Tournament is a great accomplishment and so tough to do. Our guys were fortunate and talented enough to make it back to back years. Always good to have OSU Scarlet being our final destination, and this year they set a Lakota EAST record with a 6th place finish. SO Glad many of you and your extended family members were able to come watch and enjoy this week!
—FRIDAY night—Our GMC championship team will be presented at the MASON FB Game along with Senior night. LOVE to see everyone there!
— results of the tourney can be found here: http://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Sports/Golf/2017/BD1AllResults.pdf
I wanted to send out a big thanks to so many people who have made our season possible, and enriched the experience for our golfers:
- ALL of our Players…especially Seniors Drew & Alex for providing leadership and an attitude of inclusiveness/acceptance to the guys in our program….and for teaching poker to the team!
- Parents for too many things to list but mainly for raising such quality kids.
- Schmidt’s….Mandy organizing everything and thinking 3 steps ahead of me on all things not directly related to golfing : ) To Bill for being the best chauffeur and so much more!
- Our entire coaching staff: Tepe, Vandy……and Coach Joe for bringing his energy, drive and passion for GOLF ( and fashion)
- A great administration (from Rich Bryant to Mrs. Davis) for their support, guidance and enthusiasm for our program and success. WE are so lucky to have them!
- Mark Dunaway for his organization behind the scenes and his photographic intensity : ) HIS time walking around the course to get pics/video of all the players is unprecedented and is much appreciated.
- 4BCC & Heritage for their gracious hospitality for practice and matches!
- East Boosters for all they do for our athletes. Mike Goldman & Dave Emrick were up at OSU Friday!
- Everyone who came up to State to support our players!
—FRIDAY night—Our GMC championship team will be presented at the MASON FB Game along with Senior night.
CLICK HERE for info, details and results for the state championships.